By Tierney Sneed, CNN
Attorney General Merrick Garland will make his first public statement Thursday since federal agents searched former President Donald Trump’s Florida home at Mar-a-Lago earlier this week, according to a source familiar with the matter.
The statement comes after days of silence from the Justice Department with regard to the search, as is the department’s normal practice for ongoing investigations.
In a message reviewed by CNN Thursday, FBI Director Chris Wray told the bureau’s employees their “safety and security” was his “primary concern right now.”
“There has been a lot of commentary about the FBI this week questioning our work and motives,” Wray said. “Much of it is from critics and pundits on the outside who don’t know what we know and don’t see what we see. What I know — and what I see — is an organization made up of men and women who are committed to doing their jobs professionally and by the book every day; this week is no exception.”
The topic of the statement was not given in the Justice Department’s announcement.
A White House official said they did not get advanced notice that Garland would be delivering a statement Thursday.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION
News Channel 3-12 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.
Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here
If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.